Thursday, May 23, 2013

Crochet Tutorial

I had to learn this technique from my grandma and thought I'd share it. This is a technique for weaving in your ends in crochet that is a piece with a right and wrong side where the wrong side has the possibility of being seen, like a blanket or sweater. I took a few quick pictures of this technique real quick to show you.

You will need; your crochet with ends hanging off. As you crochet when changing from one color to the next leave a good 2 to 3 inch tails and pull snug before moving on and leaving the ends hanging from the back of your work. As you can see I have quite a few to work with. You will also need a yarn needle, I prefer metal ones since they have more of a point on them. And a pair of scissors

Thread your needle with an end. 


Move up a little and pass your needle through the back bumps of your dc (or whatever stitch is there).


Pull tight and repeat, moving down and left one (or up and right)


Repeat once more (you can do more than three but I find running through three rows on this slight diagonal leaves a very firm fabric in tact.



This is the end woven in on the back side before cutting it down. 

All cut and difficult to find


Right side of fabric. Dare you to try and spot the end from this side. Difficult huh?


There is also the option of carrying the old thread for a few stitches after you change colors, as demonstrated here and here (scroll down to the bottom picture) This works great for amigurami projects and toys and for those people who just don't like a lot of finishing work at the end of a project. But I'm a little weird in that I am both a crocheter and a sewing enthusiast and sometimes at the end of a fiber project I like the feel of a sharp darning needle in my hands. So there you have it. A short tutorial on how I finish my ends in crochet work.

And for a Calvin update; he's almost three and I am finding each day new and exciting, and infinitely more difficult than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment