Saturday, May 25, 2013

Selfies and Pie

Today my son took his first selfie. I'm not certain whether to be proud of him, or terrified. The way he views the universe is so different than what I grew up with, that I worry sometimes about him completely surpassing my own understanding of the cosmos. He has an almost instinctual understanding of how a touch screen works, can navigate through netflix on my xbox and phone and apparently can operate my digital camera without putting his finger in front of the lens (most of the time) and getting halfway decent pictures. Especially considering he hasn't even reached his third birthday yet. Here are a few shots from his 'photo shoot' including a picture of me he took after carefully setting himself into position to take my picture, and instructing me to 'say cheese'







I remember when my own mother got her first digital camera. I was a good deal older than three, I can tell you that. But my point is that technology and the world is changing at an ever accelerated rate ever since both the market revolution and the industrial revolution that I wonder what the end of our journey as a species might be, or even the next few stops might be. And it is important to remember that two hundred years ago, life did not change at this rate. You were born to your parents who likely had lived in their town for their whole lives, working a family trade or farm. As their parents had done, and their parents stretching back to the very distant agricultural revolution before written history.

Another thought for the day; isn't it interesting that the 'revolutions' from history that truly changed the world rarely involved wars and death and beheadings; but the cultural revolutions that forever changed the world.

Also I made pie today; and it was gooey and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment